Council Ladies react to the 2008 winner of the Quilt Raffle, Jackie Cleveland.
“The Altar Society was formed in June of 1951 when Mass was being held in the Rotary Room at the Mimslyn Hotel. Their initial duties included helping with catechism and decorating the altar. They met in the members’ homes. When the Church was completed, the Ladies’ Club met there and began to raise money by selling aprons and religious articles.
In addition, money was raised by a Mrs. Hosey of New York City by hosting card parties at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel, benefiting Our Lady of the Valley. Following our incorporation into the new Diocese of Arlington in 1977, the club became part of theNational Council of Catholic Women.
Today the Women’s Club continues to be the backbone of our Parish. Annually, they make by hand a beautiful quilt for raffle. The money raised supports their many good works for Our Lady of the Valley including the purchase of altar goods and the maintenance of the altar linens and vestments, provision of food for the needy, teaching and supporting the religious education classes, the organization of our annual Christmas party, parish picnic, and our First Communion and Confirmation classes. Most generously, the Women’s Club provides and organizes luncheons for bereaved families following Funeral Masses.
The Women’s Club [now called the ‘Ladies Council’] of Our Lady of the Valley provides the funds and labor for many of the parish activities. Though their quiet and efficient work is rarely recognized, the fruits of their labor have been enjoyed by all parishioners for 50 years